CALL TO Ontario and Québec based CHOREOGRAPHERS
2020 KickStart Festival commissions
Deadline: Friday, November 30th, 2018 by 11:59 pm
KickStart by CanAsian, in collaboration with Tangente and Festival Accès Asie, commissions Canadian choreographers, challenging them to develop and perform a short work of up to 20 minutes, that represents a significant new direction or constructive disruption to their approach to choreography. KickStart’s support includes mentorship, dramaturgy, and professionally produced performances in Toronto and Montreal.
- the new work proposal must articulate a question or proposition that you plan to research, and must suggest a creative process that will expand your current dance practices, knowledge, aesthetic and/or skills. Show how this work represents a fresh perspective or investigation into your choreography;
- it must also include an investigation into an Asian-based concept, principle or practice as an aspect of the proposal;
- choreographers will be considered at various levels of professional experience from emerging to accomplished, provided they have at least five publicly presented works;
- applicants of any race and cultural background will be considered.
- a fee to help cover research and creation costs (dependent on funding support);
- performances in Toronto and Montreal. In Montreal, the performance will be presented in collaboration with Festival Accès Asie and Tangente (Includes performance fees);
- the support of an accomplished mentor-dramaturge to provide dramaturgical guidance and advice;
- travel expenses for the Toronto and Montreal performances (for out-of-town artists);
- administrative mentorship and support.
APPLICATIONS should be submitted by email at [email protected] and should include:
- your name, address, telephone number, email address, and website;
- a proposal for the new work that fulfills the KickStart criteria (maximum 1 page);
- a short biography (1 page or less);
- a digital submission of recent work. The Selection Committee will view 20 minutes maximum. Please do not submit highly edited promotional trailers;
- contextual information about your video; title, credits, cuing notes, how it represents your work (1 page max).